Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Stuffed Peppers with Turkey and Vegetables

 

I discovered this recipe (surprise it's not a food network recipe!) a few months ago when I decided I wanted to try my hand at making stuffed peppers. It had plenty of good reviews and I liked the idea of making it healthier by using the ground turkey and loads of veggies.  The first couple of times I made it pretty much as listed in the recipe. I like using Italian seasoned canned tomatoes and sun dried tomato paste. This go around I added some fresh parsley and used frozen spinach since we never use up all of the fresh spinach we have left over. I also added mushrooms since I had them on hand. It definitely pays to be generous with the seasonings as well.

It makes a boat load of stuffing (I usually only stuff 2 peppers) so there are usually enough leftovers to eat for dinner again or for a couple of lunches. That's my favorite kind of recipe.


(this is what was left after stuffing two peppers)

We like to have it with rice but you can certainly do without if you are watching calories (the recipe itself is very low cal). I definitely don't feel guilty when I eat a bit extra just because there are so many veggies in this dish. So tasty and so filling and so healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment