Monday, May 17, 2010

Eat more chicken

One thing I don't really need to do is eat more chicken. I eat chicken so much I'm fairly certain I'm going to grow feathers and start clucking. I eat it grilled, in stir fry, baked, sauteed and fried. Chicken, chicken everywhere. You can tell that I'm uninspired come dinner time if chicken is on the menu.

But one recipe I've tried lately that I really enjoy is the Coconut chicken strips from Budget Bytes.


(pardon the photo, I forgot to take one before eating)

The recipe itself is really simple. She's also got a version for spicy strips with sriracha sauce. I didn't have any on hand but I like the idea of making them have a little kick so I add hot sauce to the egg wash and cayenne pepper to the flour mixture. Gives them a little heat. Also, the sweet chili sauce is a must. It really does add something special. I enjoyed these so much the first time I ate them I made them again a week later. I also made them this past weekend for our poker party and they were a hit, everyone raved about them and kept asking me what the sauce was.

I really like the Budget Bytes blog. She has plenty of recipes that are easy to make and I usually have most of the ingredients on hand. I recently made her Garlic Noodles to go with some fish for dinner and they were fantastic. No modifications needed for that recipe and I would've gladly made them again if Kevin hadn't used up the angel hair pasta for spaghetti.

I also want to share a recipe that my sister gave me for chex mix. (I lovingly refer to it as chex crack.) She makes it every year for Christmas but since Kevin and I alternate holidays now some years I don't get to have it and that makes me sad. I insisted on getting the recipe so I can make my own for special occasions (or when I feel like putting on 10lbs). I made a half batch this weekend for the party and it was wildly popular with the ladies. It's a sweet/savory mix and almost impossible to stop eating. Also, it's very, very bad for you. Make at your own risk.

4 sticks butter
2 cups oil
1 cup sugar (plus some brown sugar if you feel so inclined)
8 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 teaspoons garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and boil for 5 minutes. Pour over:

1 box rice chex
1 box corn chex
1 box honeycomb
1 bag pretzels
peanuts

This makes TWO gigantic disposable baking pans. The glaze doesn't look like it will be enough for both pans but it will be. Bake at 250 for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes. Share with everyone you know and become the most popular person in your circle of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment